Saturday, January 28, 2012

Testing One’s Patience and Tolerance


When I first saw this commercial I couldn’t stop thinking of all those early mornings or late afternoons, walking through the timber, and listening to the light flow of the crick. Finally, I’d climb into my tree-stand waiting for the monster buck that I’d been tracking all year for. Quietly waiting, just me and my freshly cleaned shotgun, feeling the great old tree gradually swaying in the breeze: nature’s own lullaby. Not even 20 minutes, you think you hear “the one” right behind you; you envision it’s bold and majestic strut along the trail. You’re prepared, the butt of the gun snug against your shoulder, and as it comes around the corner… you see a fluffy little squirrel. Instantly, you feel completely ridiculous for thinking that it was a deer; however, that isn’t the true torture- oh no. For the next few hours, that same squirrel will scatter all over the area until it spots you. As long as it knows you are not a tree it barks and barks ‘til it is literally in your face… and that is why you always bring a bow along.

4 comments:

  1. No one out in Utah likes hunting! Where are you from??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I’ve found out first hand. I’m a fourth generation dairy farmer in Nebraska, we only had 50 people in my graduating class, but we knew how to work and have fun. When I wanted to go fishing or hunting, all I had to do is walk outside. It’s kind of funny, about five in the morning, my grandpa would drive over (we only lived ¼ mile away) and tap on my window when he was ready to go fishing. I have worked for the Nebraska State Game and Parks commission for maintenance and as a lifeguard. Since you are from Alabama, I would assume that you take great pride being from the south- as you should. You may know that Nebraska was considered a neutral state during the Civil War; however, the northern and southern part of Nebraska was actually quite divided, and I grew up very near to that line. Because of the great division, they decided that if the Union won, the capital would go to the south, but it would have to be named after Abraham Lincoln. Thus, the capital is Lincoln, Nebraska and the compromises that came from that great and awful war (as all are) made us who we are. My ancestors come from both sides of the Civil War, also patriots of the American Revolution, and every war since. Because of my heritage, I am deeply proud to be an American and grateful to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Nebraskans are just as Josh Thompson puts it in his song “Way Out Here” and we bleed Cornhusker Red… that’s where I come from.

      Delete
    2. Wow. Perhaps the most elaborate response I've ever read to "where are you from?"
      It's good to have people appreciate their heritage. We need more local and national pride in the world. I'm from Arizona and I'm proud. Although my knowledge of its history isn't as in depth as it should be. I'll work on that.

      Hunting sounds so fun! I've never been. And I agree that it would be torturous to be continually distracted by a squirrel.

      Delete
    3. Haha, I actually cut down my original reply… then I realized that most people want just a simple comment and not an essay. As for our national pride, it is a major problem, and if I had more time I just might write an opinion editorial about that important subject. Yes, hunting is very fun, it provides life, protects life, a way of life, and a way to exercise your freedoms, which is equally important as voting- in my opinion.

      Delete